Friday 8 January 2016

Special Editions/Collectors Editions.

My first collectors edition game I bought was Halo 2. It came with a cool metal case and a second disk which had the making of Halo 2 with interviews of Bungie members who mostly talked about how they Effed up the game and released something less than what they had wanted to release.

It was $10 dollars more than the regular edition and I didn't regret buying it. Unfortunately I didn't like the game as mush as the first one , mostly because I didn't like that you didn't play as the Chief for the entire game.



I also remember buying Mortal Kombat Deception Limited edition which came with a metallic slipcover and a metal Scorpion card. It also contained a second disk which contained a copy of Mortal Kombat 1 which to me was and still is a huge bonus.

I became a big fan of Collector's Edition games. I couldn't get enough of them. I particularly liked ones that came with artbooks and music CDs. I liked these editions so much that I have bought quite a few over the years. The first one I bought for Xbox 360 was Lost Planet. This was a brand new IP from Capcom and I bought it based on gameplay videos I saw and to me it looked amazing. The Collector's Edition came with probably to this day, the best steelbook case for a game that I have ever seen. It also had an art section in the manual and again, it was only $10 dollars more than the regular version.



I really liked the Gears of War 3 Collector's edition which came with the Marcus statue, it came with a case containing a big metal cog and a bunch of documents. It was pretty awesome, but it was $150. I'm not sure when it jumped from $80 collectors edition to $150 , but I bought into them as well.

Diablo 3 came out and it also had a great Collector's Edition. It had a nice big hardcover artbook, it had a soundtrack CD and it also had a statue of Diablo's head and a USB stick that looked like a red crystal which had Diablo 2 and its expansion on it.



Some people claimed that these were just cash grabs that weren't worth the extra money, but I personally think that if you like collecting video game merchandise, then for the most part these editions were great. Even for games that turned out not so great, like Ninja Gaiden 3, the Collectors edition was actually really good. That one had an art book, music CD and statue which looked great. The game itself wasn't as good as the first 2 , but it was developed by a team without the lead who made the first two games.



So, what do you think of collectors editions? Do you have a favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment