Sunday 3 January 2016

PC Gaming and Controllers.

Mouse and keyboard is my control method of choice when it comes to playing FPS games on PC. I remember seeing countless arguments between console gamers and PC gamers about which is better; Controllers or Keyboard and Mouse.......



To me, it's hands down K&M without a doubt. That said, some games just play better with a controller. I have tried a bunch of controllers on PC over the years. One I spent 50 dollars on but could never get to work was the Logitech  F710. I might try it again and see if there are better drivers for it now but I'm not holding my breath.



I used Xbox 360 controllers with the wireless dongle for years and loved them. The good thing was that I could go from playing my Xbox 360 to playing PC with the same controllers and not have to get used to different controls. Unfortunately the D-Pad wasn't that great for fighting games. Most fighting games I used a fight stick for but certain games , like Mortal Kombat didn't feel right with an arcade stick and were better with controllers.


With the release of the Xbox One came an updated controller from MS and it was a subtle improvement over the 360's controller. Luckily with a micro USB cord you could plug it into your PC and it would work out of the box. With the release of the wireless adapter , using this controller is even better. The D-pad is better and more responsive than the last gen controller. If you're a controller collector like myself, there are again, plenty of different special edition controllers to buy. I got myself a Titanfall Controller because I loved the look of it. I also like the two new Halo 5 controllers and the Lunar White controller.

The newest PC controller to come out is the Steam Controller. I grabbed on on launch and while I haven't had time to use it for too long so far, I think its pretty awesome. I like that you can use community created button layouts, or you can just take the time to figure out what works best for you with your own custom settings. I had some games work great with it right away. Games like Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris was great with the controller, as was Borderlands 2. Though Lords of the Fallen was really hard to use , though I didn't spend much time trying to find a better control layout for it. Outside of games, I liked that I could navigate the internet and my PC with the controller to browse forums or play movie files. The face buttons are hard to get used t obecause of their placement on the pad, but you can use the paddkes on the back or the triggers in place of those face buttons. I'll have a more in depth look at this controller when I spend more time with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment