Tuesday 5 January 2016

A good time to own a gaming PC

I game on consoles and PC, but mainly on PC. I like having higher resolutions, more control options, free online multiplayer and mods.

I do have the previous gen consoles such as Xbox 360, PS3 and a Wii U. Out of those I probably enjoy my Wii U most right now as it has some absolutely fantastic games. Though I still enjoy playing Gears of War and Halo on 360 , and I still have a backlog of games on the system that I want to finish.

Lots of console owners will tell you many reasons why they don't like PCs. Most of those reasons though are outdated and flat out not true.

One reason I hear a lot is because they don't want to be hunched over a desk staring at a small screen.
Are those people stuck in the 90's? You can easily hook up your PC to any TV that you could hook up your console to. Also with the launch of streaming devices such as the Steam Link, you don't even have to move your Desktop, you can just stream to any TV in your house and sit in your favourite chair.



Another complaint I hear is that they don't like using a keyboard and mouse because a controller feels more natural. First of all I think that those people never used a mouse and keyboard for FPS games because that is definitely the way to go for FPS, but the fact is , that on PC you have even more options for controllers than you do on your console. If you're playing on an Xbox 360, you have the official MS controllers to use and some 3rd party knock offs you can choose from as well. While I'm sure some of those 3rd party controllers are great, there still aren't too many options.

On the PC though, you have a much wider choice of controller to use. You can go ahead and use your Xbox 360 controller, or you can use a PS3 controller. Have the newer generation controllers? you can use an Xbox one or PS4 controller as well if you want. Don't like those options? Logitech has a series of popular F series controllers you could use. There is also the new Steam controller which is getting great user reviews. Heck, you can even use an SNES controller......

Here's a link with tons of controllers you can use for PC if you don't believe me.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pc+game+pads&FORM=HDRSC2




One of my favourite arguments against PC gaming is "PC is for playing alone, consoles are for playing with other people"

Years ago that may have been true. It wasn't easy to have to people sitting right next to each other trying to use the same keyboard to play a game, but again, that was a long time ago. With the use of controllers and wireless USB dongles that can have up to 8 connected controllers at a time, you can have the same if not better experience with couch co op games than you have on a console.

I say better because some games on console have noticeable frame drops when playing co op. If you have a pretty decent gaming PC, you can have split screen co op and still run the game at 60 frames per second at higher resolutions than on a console. One great example lately was playing Lego Worlds on my laptop hooked up to a TV with my Girlfriend and I was at one end of the world exploring while she was on the other building stuff and there was no slowing down the game.

I went on a slight tangent from what I wanted to talk about so I'll get to the real point right now. The biggest reason I am enjoying my gaming PC now more than ever aside from the points listed, are the games...



Yes, PC doesn't have halo 5 or Gears of War 4 , or God of War, and other games, but it might in the future with the way things are going. One example is Rise of the Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot that came out in 2013. It was a great and fresh take on Lara Croft and her story which a decent story and some fantastic visuals. It was bit too easy with not enough exploring but it was a great starting point. Which is why I was looking forward to a sequel and hoped that they fix some of the first game's shortcommings. While Tomb Rader was on both MS and Sony consoles, Rise of the Tomb Raider is only going to be on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. It has to do with money. MS came in with bags of cash and Square Enix showed their gold digger side. That sucks if you have a PS4, but thankfully I have a PC. Rise of the Tomb Raider comes to PC on January 28th.



Then you have Capcom. Apparently Sony showed Capcom the money and Street Fighter 5 is console exclusive to PS4. Damn. Oh but wait. It's also coming to PC and it features cross platform play between PC and PS4.



Good news for me! It looks like PC stays neutral in this console war between MS and Sony and while they lose a game to one another, we PC gamers quietly get our PC port and just have to wait for patching for our inevitably broken on launch PC versions.


No comments:

Post a Comment