Wednesday 6 December 2023

XBOX

Yeah I want to talk a bit about the XBOX. Not the Xbox 360, not the Xbox One , but the original XBOX. I recently got mine out of the basement crawlspace and set it up on my old 55 inch projection screen to see if it worked and to try out some old games.

I started it up and it came to life as if it were the first day I got it. I have the original Duke controllers as well and while lots of people preferred the re-designed S controllers , I loved the giant Duke controllers. The first time I felt it rumble I was amazed.

Anyway, the system started up perfectly and it read every game with no trouble at all. I was in heaving playing some of my old favourites like Gunvalkyrie and BloodWake. I even played Outlaw Tennis and some Halo 2 for good measure.  It was glorious. There are some great games from previous generations.

I only had to buy one XBOX. I never had to send it in for fixing and I never had any weird rings of death. The system worked and that was that. My Xbox 360 on the other hand had to be returned 3 times until I got one that "worked" My first one got the red rings of death, my second one was scratching all my games , my third one had a dvd tray that refused to open and my 4rth finally worked.

It still works today , except that in order for it to read games, it needs to be lying flat. It wont read games if standing up but it will still read dvd movies. I also had the HD DVD drive and my first one died on me. I replaced it and that one still works fortunately as I still have some good movies on HD DVD.

I remember the day I got the system. I don't remember details like the exact date and time, but I remember a friend of mine said she would buy me a ps2. I had no idea why but she said she would. Her brother had one and all our other friends had a Ps2. I couldn't refuse that so we went off to a mall and into an EB games store. They were all out of PS2 systems so she bought an XBOX and I was like "What is an Xbox?" But I took it home and hooked it up. It was awesome. To this day I'm glad that the store was out of PS2 systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment