Tuesday 29 March 2016

Killer Instinct Windows 10



So Microsoft released Killer Instinct today for Windows 10. This game and Gears of War Untimate Edition are 2 of many more games MS plans to release to merge their LIVE service with Windows 10.

Killer Instinct requires that you are running Windows 10, and is available only on the Windows store. You wont be able to buy it on any other digital distribution site like Steam. Some people might moan and groan at that, but the fact is that Windows 10 is the most solid MS OS in ages and is even better than Windows 7. It's also more efficient and makes your machine run much smoother. I haven't experience crashes with Windows 10, and I haven't had compatibility issues like I did with windows 7 and 8.

One thing that annoys me with the Windows games is that they don't support overlays. So you cant use FRAPS or NVIDIA experience to take screenshots or record video. Windows has its own version, but even that wasn't supported with this game. I had to use PrtScr to take screenshots.

MS even offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 and yes they are pushing their OS, but it's worth the upgrade especially if you want to play Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Killer Instinct and or the Upcoming Forza 6 for PC.


As for Killer Instinct on PC. Its free to download.... Yes you read that right. Though the free version only comes with one character, SabreWolf.

Luckily for me, I took advantage of when MS was giving away Season 1 of Killer Instinct for free for Xbox One. Though you could also claim it for free if you only had an Xbox 360.

I'm glad I did because from day one, I get to play Killer Instinct with 8 plyable characters , alternate and classic costumes and colours with a handful of stages.

Killer Instinct has 3 seasons so far. You can buy them all separate, or all together . You can also just buy individual characters from any season.
(I messed this picture up...sorry.)

 I have only put in about an hour so far but I really enjoyed what I played. Even though I don't own any characters from season 2 or 3, I can still play against those characters in single player which is great because you can still learn the matchups for online play.

Speaking of online play, the 2 matches I played ran silky smooth and this is day one of the release..... When has a fighter in recent history done that? I'm impressed. Edit: Online play features cross platform play, so you can play against console players in online modes. This is a great trend in fighting games because it makes the player pool much bigger.

The graphics look very sharp, and you don't need a killer rig to run the game well. I have a GTX 660 ti and turned all the settings to max and the game ran flawlessly.


Combos can be amazing to see, though really long and if you get caught in one it can be annoying to watch your life gauge go down while you try to complete a combo breaker to get out.

There are a bunch of game modes to choose from right off the bat. You have single player options like fighting against the CPU in a single fight or you can jump into training to learn combos for the characters you own. You can also go into a story mode, or jump into survival mode and see how many characters you can beat before you lose your health.
(look at those particles!)

I enjoyed every minute of the hour I put in so far and look forward to putting in much more while I learn how to do combos and take my game online. I even saw a stage "fatality" performed on me which was really cool. It was on the halo stage and a ghost got dropped on my character.

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into fighting games, those who loved Killer Instinct back in the day and to those who are disappointed that Mortal Kombat has left PC gamers behind with the new XL content.

It's free to try out so go download it and give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment